[OpenMap Users] new user needs advice

From: <navaneet.kumar_at_us.elster.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:46:09 -0400

Folks:

I am new to GIS and working on a project that has the following
needs/features:
1) We have a "network" that consists of several subnets. Each subnet
contains a number of devices deployed over a small urban area (say a few
square miles at most)
2) We would like to show the network (nodes and connections) over
different maps, say over street maps, or aerial photos.
3) We would also like to interact with the network: say clicking on a node
causes some lines to highlight, shows details about the node/connections
etc.
4) Print the network with the underlying layers shown.
5) Zoom/Pan/Query (find a particular node etc)
6) If the network device has a problem, we would like to take some action,
for example, show the node as red.
7) Integrate the GIS app with other parts of the system which is
browser/servlets/TomCat based.

I have done some work and based on lats/longs of nodes, I can generate a
geographically correct network map. I have layered this network on top
of TIGETR street data and over TerraServer images, and it works fine. I
have been using Global Mapper for the purpose.
We are now to a point where we want more interaction with the network,
instead of just showing it over layers.

That is why I am thinking of OpenMap. But I have several concerns:
1) Is OpenMap stable? If I run into bugs, will there be any support? How
many people are working on it?
2) How long do you think it might take to get to a good "demo" stage:
   - Show the TIGER or other street maps.
   - Show our network on top.
   - Allow some interaction such as "clicking on a node allows me to
highlight a few lines in the network"
3) Can I print from OpenMap? Or may be just save the image and use other
tools to print?
4) Currently I generate my network by using Java and writing to a "PNG"
file that has transparency. It is probably better to generate a shape
files because I might be able to add meta data about nodes and edges. Is
that the way to go? I know OpenMap has classes to generate shape files.

Having looked at OpenMap and what others have done with it, it appears
that my needs are quite modest.

Should I use OpenMap or is it better to use/buy other tools/API/SDK? What
are some other options? We don't mind paying for development licenses,
but would like to avoid any runtime fees.

Our servers run on Windows, clients are browsers anywhere. But we should
be OK solving this via a standalone app or from within the browser.

Thanks for suffering through the long post

Nav Kumar