Re: [OpenMap Users] setting colors from properties

From: Robert Najlis <rnajlis_at_cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:27:07 -0400

Don,

it looks like com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.areas.AreaShapeLayer will do
what I need for shapefiles. Is there any way to do this with grid
files?

I am planning on making a gui tool to make this easier for users:

Although the property files will do what I need, I think that for my
purposes I need to have a nicer user interface. I am working on repast
- gis integration , repast is an open-source agent based modelling
toolkit, <http://repast.sourceforge.net/> For the repast users we
plan on building a user interface to make it easier for the user to
describe symbology (colors for values mainly). For starters it would
be great to have shapefiles and a raster format (ascii grid probably).
We plan on building this interface. I am hoping that we can build it
so that it integrates into Openmap (thereby giving something back to
the openmap community). What I am thinking of now is an interface that
asks for the file - then depending on the type (eg. shapefile, grid),
gives the appropriate choices shapefile you could choose the field, and
then assign colors for values (the current values for the field would
automatically be added, the user could add more, for the grid, the
current values would be listed, the user could add more -- something
like that.

Plans and questions:
=====================

The place where I have a question is how to integrate this with openmap.

1. I am thinking that it would be straightforward to just take what the
user inputs and write that to the openmap.properties file. Does that
make sense?

2. after the properties file is written, can I tell openmap to reread
the properties file?

3. Is there a way that I could put this information in a separate file
so I would not have to overwrite the openmap.properties file each time?

Any other ideas and suggestions you might have would be greatly
appreciated.

Hopefully this is something that you and others would find useful.

As I mentioned, we plan on integrating this with Repast. this is an
open-source project, so this will be available to all. I will let you
know when things are ready.

Robert