Re: [OpenMap Users] layer not responding to mouse input

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:10:23 -0400

On Sep 10, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Robert Najlis wrote:

> From: Robert Najlis <rnajlis_at_cs.indiana.edu>
> Date: September 10, 2004 5:43:56 PM EDT
> To: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>, <openmap-users_at_bbn.com>
> <openmap-users_at_bbn.com> <openmap-users_at_bbn.com>
> Subject: layer not responding to mouse input
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having troubles getting a layer to respond to mouse inputs.
>
> I have subclassed OMGraphicHandleraLayer and implemented
> MapMouseListener (I even tried implementing ActionListener which had
> worked for me in the past).
>
> I don't get a response at all. I have tried many variations (at first
> I had not set the consumeEvents, , setMouseModeIDsforEvents and
> setMouseEventInterpreter functions, but even when I did, no change).

These are the ones you want.

> I also tried removing all other layers and also moving my layer to
> the top, both through the gui.
>
> Code details are provided below.
>
> thanks a lot for your help.
>

> -- Robert
>

> here is how I am creating the layer and adding it to Openmap:
>

> RepastOMLayer layer = new RepastOMLayer();

This is done by default if the mouse mode IDs are set.
> layer.setMouseEventInterpreter(new
> StandardMapMouseInterpreter());

> String[] mmi = new String[1];
> mmi[0] = "Gestures";
> layer.setMouseModeIDsForEvents(mmi);

OK, good.

> layer.setName(title);
> layer.setList(omList);
> layer.setVisible(true);
> layer.setConsumeEvents(true);
> layer.doPrepare();
>

> layerHandler.addLayer(layer, 0);
> layerHandler.setLayers();
> mapHandler.add(layer);
> // layer.setVisible(true);
>

> here is the basic code for the layer:

It doesn't matter that the layer is a MapMouseInterpreter, you don't
want it to be. The interpreter is the MapMouseListener.

> public class RepastOMLayer extends OMGraphicHandlerLayer implements
> MapMouseListener {
>
> public boolean mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) {
> System.out.println("cliked - " );//
> }

You won't get a mouseClicked() call. Using the MapMouseInterpreter
moves things up a level.

see:

http://openmap.bbn.com/mailArchives/openmap-users/2004-09/3377.html

> I don't get any response whatsoever, except for, on occasion - if I
> keep clicking for a while, the following error:

You probably won't, if your list is empty. Look at the last part of
the referenced message about receivesMapEvents() for more raw events.

Of course, if you want to receive the mouseClicked(), mouseMoved() etc
calls directly, have your layer extend MapMouseListener and return the
"Gestures" string in getMouseModeServiceList(). But if you are just
going to be going over OMGraphics with those events, the interpreter
does that work for you.

- Don