RE: [OpenMap Users] rendering problem still remains

From: Hudson Brian R Contr AFRL/IFSF <Brian.Hudson_at_rl.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:43:39 -0000

Hey,

Don gives some suggestions here on how to modify OpenMap to use doubles.

http://openmap.bbn.com/mailArchives/openmap-users/2003-12/2104.html
<http://openmap.bbn.com/mailArchives/openmap-users/2003-12/2104.html>

Many people seem interested in this, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it
successfully. Don indicates that is a large job.

I'm not sure that rendering in XY will help. When you are at that scale
OpenMap attempts to determine the XY location of things based on its
lat/lon. At that scale the lat/lon per pixel is so small that rounding
errors (and precision) can really mess up the drawing (as you can see by
using the drawing tool). You could attempt to use XY rendering but in order
to get the XY points won't you have to use the projection classes to turn
your lat lon points into XY coords? Doing this will cause you to suffer the
rounding/precision problems that OpenMaps lat lon render type is having at
the at scale.

You could possibly write your own lat/lon to xy function that would take the
scale and top left/bottom right lat lon points, then using doubles calculate
the delta per pixel, then using that information to calculate the XY coords
of your rendering in order to get a bit more precision.

Brian Hudson