Re: [OpenMap Users] Creating a brighter area of map

From: Artemus S. Harper <harpera_at_cwu.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:33:04 -0800

You can do this by setting the composite of the graphics object
(setComposite) to an AlphaComposite. Then simply paint a white rectangle
onto the area you wish to highlight.
e.g.
Graphics2D g = ...;
Composite savedComposite = g.getComposite();
g.setComposite(AlphaComposite.getInstance(AlphaComposite.SRC_OVER,.5f);
g.fillRect(x,y,width,height);
g.setComposite(savedComposite);
>>> Laura Paterson <laura.paterson_at_generaldynamics.uk.com> 11/10/04 6:30
AM >>>
Hi,

I think this is possibly more of a Java question than a map question,
but
hope that someone in this forum may know of a solution!

Part of my map application allows a user to draw an area of interest
onto
the map. I used to indicate the boundary of this area by colouring it
transparently, however, I received complaints that this interfered with
using the map too much.

After trying a few prototypes, I have found the effect I want to achieve
-
to brighten the selected area. (See the attached screenshot mock, which
made up using the Brighten option in Paint Shop Pro 7.)

The problem is, I have no idea at the moment how to go about creating
this
effect in OpenMap/Java...

If anyone has any suggestions I will be very grateful!

Cheers,
Laura

General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited
Registered in England and Wales No. 1911653
Registered Office: 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA