[OpenMap Users] Vertical profile calculation

From: Piotr Kamiński <Piotr.Kaminski_at_ctm.gdynia.pl>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:53:49 +0100

Hi all,
I have requirement to calculate vertical profile of sea bottom from
multibeamer soundings data. Is there any tool in OpenMap which could
help me in this area? Maybe DTEDLayer?
The main problem is processing quite large amount of data (about 100MB
of soundings in format: x, y, z where x and y are UTM easting and
northing) The data is irregular, and should be preprocessed before
calculating profile. I thought about using QuadTree but I'm afraid of
OutOfMemoryException.
The second: how to calculate profile between to defined points?
I have some ideas around 3D terrain model. It could be calculated by:
   - triangulation (with additional reduction of soundings) which gives
triangulated irregular network (TIN)
   - generating grid of particular size (using interpolation for
reducing number of soundings) - it's a kind of DTED I think.
And how to calculate profile from such 3D model?
Any help welcome!

Best regards,
Piotr Kaminski