Re: [OpenMap Users] Performance Issues

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:19:53 -0500

Hi Diane,

5000 objects is a lot, so good performance would be something that you
might have to work for (thinning, filtering).

On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:25 PM, <dianefitch_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> I have been working with openmap, and I need help with 3 performance
> issues.
>
> I have a requirement to draw 5000 simple lines referenced by Lat/Lon.
> So I create 5000 OMLine objects and add them to the GraphicsList. When
> a projection changes (zooming)
>
>     1. the application is very slow, taking well over 5 seconds.
>
>             The debug in the LayerWorker construct shows the time is
> spent in the  OMGraphicList list = getRenderPolicy().prepare(); method
>
>      2. It consumes memory and never releases then finally application
> just hangs (40MB is used every zoom)

It's hard to know what's going on without your code.

>      3. Even though the swingworker is being called, the application
> seems to hang.

The CPU might be overwhelmed, but again, it's hard to know what's going
on from my POV.

- Don

> I am using Windows XP, 512MB Memory 1.8 GHz processor, Java 1.4.2_02,
> Openmap 4.6.1
>

> My LineLayer class is very simple. It extends OMGraphicsHandlerLayer,
> and uses the StandardPCPolicy and StandardRenderPolicy.

You might want to look at ListResetPCPolicy, making sure to clear the
list out between projection changes.

> I have tried BufferedImageRenderPolicy, and this did not help.

It wouldn't, sounds like the time is being spent in projection. You
might want to make sure the rendertype of the lines is
RENDERTYPE_STRAIGHT, if the points are such that is doesn't make a
difference.

- Don