RE: [OpenMap Users] watershed area

From: Chapman, Martin <MChapman_at_sanz.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:42:27 -0700

Andrea,

First, if openmap doesn't have a DEM driver you're going to have to write one. It's similiar in concept to a DTED but the file format is different. There are a lot of open source packages that probably have a DEM driver implementation that you can look at, or, you could use an opensource DEM specific driver. I think I've seen some java ones around on the web. If not, check the usgs.gov site for links to one.

A DEM basically has an upper left point, an x-scaling and a y-scaling. Then it has a grid of numbers called "posts" that are the elevation values in feet or meters. The post values are either float or short (i think, see usgs eros data center home page for file spec). It also has a projection id and a few other things in the header. In order to plot the data on a map you have to interpolate the lat/lon of the elevation value based on the upper left point and the x and y scaling. In other words, if you want to plot cell (2, 2) of the elevation grid then your lon = UL.Lon + (XScale * 2). I'm not sure if you need to determine how many degrees longitude for the latitude but if you do that code is on NIMA's home page in the Nautical calculator section.

Second, This may be way off, but I would think the following strategy "might" work for determining watershed area:

1. Load the elevation values (posts) from a DEM file into a grid class you make that can hold a 2D array of Point objects. The Point class should be able to hold a lat, lon, and an elevation value (You could subclass the OMPoint class if the DTED layer didn't already have a class that did that and call it OMElevationPoint or something).

2. Loop though each Point in your grid class and calculate the lat/lon for that elevation point using the formula listed above.

3. Loop through the points again, but this time for every elevation that was less than a given height (your water level) make that value equal your height value.

4. Loop through again and any point that has an elevation greater than your water level, set to null.

Now your grid cells will be grouped together in one or more groups of cells that are your water level. All other values should be null.

5. Loop though your points again, this time setting all interior points to null (points that don't have any adjacent null points) to null. You'll probably have to make a new grid in this operation so as not to set any exterior points to null as you loop.

6. Now, your grid should have non-null cells that create one or more polylines when connected. Loop through one more time and create a set of OMPolygons from cells that have adjacent non-null values.

7. Finally, calculate the area of each polygon.

Needless to say, some of the loop operations listed above can be condensed into less iterations, but I listed them seperately for the sake of clarity.

That is my best guess at the moment. Commit it back to source if you write it please...I'll use it...and let me know if you come up with a better strategy.

Thanks,
Martin