[OpenMap Users] Re: OmScalingRaster

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:18:33 -0500

Hi David,

There are two parts to this. The first part of making the
OMScalingRaster working accurately involves using a cylindrical equal
arc projection, where the lat/lon changes are constant in both
directions. The only two OpenMap projections that fall into this
category are the LLXY projection and the CADRG projection. In the
mercator projection, as an example of what isn't acurate, the changes
in latitude are not constant across vertical pixels.

Since all images have their own inherent projection, the
OMScalingRaster needs to also contain an image where the pixels reflect
constant change in lat/lon in order to be totally accurate.

If these two thing are true, then the image will appear to be made for
the displayed map and will scale properly. If either of these two
things are not true, you may see some errors, or differences when you
scale.

Your other option is to do what the
com.bbn.openmap.plugin.earthImage.EarthImagePlugIn, where a new image
is created for every projection change, and the source image is
consulted for pixel values at every lat/lon - this warps the source
image to any displayed projection. But you need to be able to figure
out the pixel coordinates of the source image, which is why that plugin
assumes a -180/90 to 180/90 mercator projection for the source image
(it's somewhat common to find images like that for the earth).