[OpenMap Users] search & rescue

From: Geoffrey Knauth <geoff_at_knauth.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:13:29 -0500

Just jotting down an idea before it disappears.

I've been using OpenMap (http://openmap.bbn.com) for a while in search
& rescue planning for Civil Air Patrol, and in 2003 I began modeling
search & rescue exercises with Cougaar. Eventually I put that project
aside, because I realized that the folks running the SAR/EX had enough
challenges following procedure, dealing with paperwork and coordinating
activities on the radio, thus a computer in the mix would have to be
completely seamless (zero user training). I always thought a better
use of Cougaar for modeling would come with a larger exercise that
exceeds human bandwidth.

Well, a larger event happened, or at least, I've witnessed something
involving a thousand volunteers combing the woods and riverbanks in
subzero temperatures, flying through the air in airplanes and
helicopters. Today more national assets are coming to assist. It's
all about finding a 9 year-old autistic boy who wandered off 2-1/2 days
ago. An entire town is mobilized to find him, and even that hasn't
been enough yet, but we still hope.

Background:

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=2714556
http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=2712542