Re: [OpenMap Users] Displaying NOAA ENC data

From: Tore Halset <halset_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:27:27 +0100

On Jan 13, 2005, at 17:02, Chris Hopkins wrote:

> Is it possible to display NOAA Electronic Navigational Chart data
> within
> OpenMap. I have downloaded a particular ENC and am not sure how to get
> it
> displayed.

As Don wrote, it does not exist in OpenMap. Reading the data is very
easy, but displaying according to S-52 is lots of work.

I started a hobby project to display ENCs in OpenMap as a hobby
project, but I lost interest. It is so much work an my implementation
was too slow :( I loaded the encs into postgis using gdal and started
to create a layer to display according to S-52 in OpenMap. I got as far
as looking at something that looked like a map, but it took ca 1 minute
to render a single screen on my PowerBook.

The best open source effort to create a S-52 implementation that I know
of is part of the openev project. Search their mail-archive for status.
It is not written in java.

http://openev.sourceforge.net/
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/openev/contrib/S52/

Regards,