Re: [OpenMap Users] new to openmap

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:33:36 -0500

Hi lamchith,

Do you have data for your application? You can find world data freely
available on the web, most commonly in the Shape file format, but
you'll probably have to find other data files for finer details.

If you use the com.bbn.openmap.plugin.esri.EsriPlugIn with a world
Shape file (for instance, something like
http://openmap.bbn.com/data/shape/cntry02.tar.gz) you can see how that
plugin will respond to mouse events. If you use the palette for the
plugin/layer, you can bring up the table showing the attributes, and
the table entry will highlight when you click on a country.

To get the plugin in the application, you'll have to modify the
openmap.properties file to update the openmap.layers property to add a
EsriPlugIn. There are instructions for this in the openmap.properties
file, and the EsriPlugIn java docs have properties that the plugin
expect in that file.

To do what you want to do, you would need to modify the plugin to
respond to a country selection to display the fine-detail data you
want. You may want to add layers as needed, or modify your
plugin/layer to display that extra data.

I'd start with getting the data you want to display, and updating the
application to display the world data (and that finer data). After
that, I'd look at the plugin (or OMGraphicHandlerLayer) code to get a
better understanding how the mouse events are handled. When you get to
that point, write back and I'd be glad to help out with the next step.