Re: [OpenMap Users] Query regarding display of Shape Files in Openmap

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:07:41 -0500

On Feb 21, 2005, at 1:30 AM, Chan Kwang Mien wrote:

> hi,
>
> I tried to display a shape file, called sample.shp using Openmap. I
> generated the sample.ssx file using java
> com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.SpatialIndex -c sample.ssx sample.shp
>
> The sample.shp can be displayed in Openmap. However, the display is
> only a partial map. When I used fGIS which is a
> GIS software, it displays the full map. fGIS displays the sample.shp
> using the sample.dbf .
>
> My questions are :
>
> 1) Why is the display of the map incomplete when sample.ssx is used as
> compared to sample.dbf ?
> 2) How can I display the full map using sample.ssx in Openmap ?
> 3) Can Openmap display shape files using their dbf extension ?

The dbf extension contains the attributes for the geometries in the
.shp file.

The fact that you can see some features makes me believe the shape type
is supported.

You might also want to try displaying your file using the
com.bbn.openmap.plugin.esri.EsriPlugIn.

What's the difference that you are seeing?