[OpenMap Users] OMDrawingTool questioins

From: Piotr Kamiński <Piotr.Kaminski_at_ctm.gdynia.pl>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:58:47 +0100

Hi,
I use OMDrawingTool in my application. There is a layer which contains
some OMGraphic objects (our specialized ones) which user should not be
allowed to delete. Unfortunately when I choose gestures mouse mode,
select object and display popup menu there is "Delete" option.
I've checked source code and it seems to me that this option (and
"Change appearance") is always active.
What can I do to prevent deletion of object:
  - make it unselectable? Maybe, but I want user to move grab points and
initiate editing by simple selection.
  - disable OMDelete action? But it not prevents popup menu from displaying
  - subclass OMDrawingTool and override displayPopupMenu method? Maybe,
but I'm looking for more general solution
I think that some kind of OMGraphic querying should occur in this
method: isDeleteAllowed? isChangeAppearanceAllowed? or something.
Maybe there is simpler solution, but DrawingTool and editable graphic
are complex components and I don't know all the details of them. So, Don
what is your proposition?

Some other questions concerning drawing tool and OMGraphics:
  - is there easy way to prevent moving OMPoly - I only want user to
move grabpoints but don't want him to move whole graphic. It may happen
by accident, and it changes location of all points - without easy undo
:-( My application defines sea routes and each point of OMPoly becomes
turning point of such route and its geographic position is important.

  - is it possible to use new 2525 symbology in OMDrawingTool? I'd like
to choose symbol and put it on a map.

  - is it possible to use decorated splines in OMDrawingTool? I've
tried OMDecoratedSplineLoader but while editing nothing is drawn - I
can see only grabpoints.

And one questions about storing OMGraphic to XML. I've seen new feature
in OMDrawingTool - ScaledRasters. It's very nice. But what about storing
such layer to a file? I've sent you some code which stores OMGraphics
into XML. Have you tried to use it? I'm thinking about extending
capabilities of that package to store also scalling rasters, but I'm a
little afraid of the size of produced files. What are your thoughts
about this?

Best regards,
Piotr Kaminski