RE: [OpenMap Users] RPF Visibility

From: Chris Allport <chris.allport_at_red-inc.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:05:57 -0500

See (*) embedded.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Dietrick [mailto:dietrick_at_bbn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:10 AM
To: chris.allport_at_red-inc.us
Cc: OpenMap Users
Subject: Re: [OpenMap Users] RPF Visibility

On Mar 23, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Don Dietrick wrote:

> The projection code has been updated (since the deprecation of the "old
> method"). The init code looks like the following:
>
> --
> MapHandler mapHandler = new MapHandler();
> mapHandler.add(mapinternalframe);
>
> mapBean = new BufferedMapBean();
>
> mapinternalframe.getContentPane().add(mapBean);
>
> ProjectionFactory pf = ProjectionFactory.getInstance();
> Projection proj = pf.MakeProjection(CADRG.class,
>
> Environment.getFloat(Environment.Latitude, 0f),
>
> Environment.getFloat(Environment.Longitude, 0f),
>
> Environment.getFloat(Environment.Scale,
> Float.POSITIVE_INFINITY),
>
> Environment.getInteger(Environment.Width, MapBean.DEFAULT_WIDTH),
>
> Environment.getInteger(Environment.Height, MapBean.DEFAULT_HEIGHT));
> mapBean.setProjection(proj);
>
> mapHandler.add(mapBean);
>
> mapHandler.add(new LayerHandler());

So, what are the values of the projection when you expect to see RPF
data, and what kind of RPF data do you have?

* Sorry, I don't understand. We have a bunch of disks from NIMA/NGA in my
lab, and we just started using those. Since this "just worked" in v4.6, we
never questioned it. The maps cover much of the eastern seaboard, so I
expect to see maps all around 37N 77W (southern Maryland) at most map
scales. I tried reverting back to the deprecated projection code and that
does not work either.

> I have also tried turning on debug (via command line) for RPF and
> receive no
> messages.

-Ddebug.rpf

If you aren't seeing any messages from that, then it sounds like the
layer isn't getting connected to the map. Are you adding a
LayerHandler to the MapHandler? That's the thing that connects the
layers to the MapBean, depending on their visibility.

* Before adding any layers to the mapHandler, I add a LayerHandler. Just to
make sure I am rendering layers, I added one of my custom layers and I am
able to see the data it renders to the screen. In addition, I created a VPF
Layer, and aside from some error messages, it too appeared to work. I add
the vpfLayer with the same calls (except for also calling vpf's load
function). Regardless of using the -Ddebug.rpf, Debug.output and
Debug.error messages are printed.

> I tried explicitly calling "setDebugGraphicsOptions" with
> LOG_OPTION and BUFFERED_OPTION, neither yielding any apparent result.

I don't know what these are.

* Swing stuff that I found while browsing JavaDoc. They are supposed to do
various debug things -- grasping at straws here to get any good debug info.

> Is there something else I need to be doing to trigger this layer? Does
> anything else need to be setup?

Do you have any other indication that the layer is being added to the
MapBean? LayersMenu, LayersPanel?

* If I fail to supply a path name or supply a wrong path name, I do get an
error from RpfLayer. My application does not have any layer control GUI's.