RE: [OpenMap Users] MilStd 2525 SVGSymbolImageMaker

From: Chris Hopkins <chopkins_at_cra.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:24:17 -0400

Hi Tom -

For my purposes, I just need something that will create an ImageIcon object
for me given a particular width and height. The SymbolReferenceLibrary and
the SVGSymbolImageMaker classes help with that. So, I have downloaded all of
the DISA .zip files that contain the SVG files and have included the
omsvg.jar and the required Batik jars. The issue I'm having now is that the
.zip files package the SVG files into a directory structure (e.g.
AppendixA/unknown_unknown/0.spzp-----------.svg) instead of the flat
structure of the PNG jar that OpenMap provides.

I'm in the process of writing an extension to the SVGSymbolImageMaker that
will modify the data path that the BasicSymbolImageMaker uses to find the
resource file based on the code passed in. I've done a quick proof of
concept that hardcodes a change to the data path and massages the code
slightly to conform to the DISA .zip structure and can see the symbol come
up in the SymbolChooser using my image maker class. Now, it's just a matter
of doing the translation the "right" way and I think that might boil down to
the hierarchy.properties and positions.properties files (located in the
com.bbn.openmap.tools.symbology.milStd2525 package) but I don't have my head
around those yet.

Once this is done, it will provide the means to retrieve an ImageIcon object
based on the MilStd code and using the unmodified DISA .zip files. That's
what I need for my project...just a simple lookup mechanism. We are not
using the parts of the MilStd that are not reflected in the existing SVG
files (e.g. the fields to the left and right of the image itself). Would
your need for an editor be the result of wanting to add these other fields
to the image prior to display?

Thanks,
Chris