Re: [OpenMap Users] Serializing OMGraphics

From: David Ward <mry_yachtsman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:10:45 -0700

Don, Piotr;

1. I've been successful in serializing OmGraphics using Java serialization
to an ObjectStream and also serializing to XML.

2. I had to make a modification to OMGraphic so that it would serialize the
transient "stroke" membe.. Implementing custom serialization of "stroke"
corrected the "stroke" serialization problem for all OMGraphic subclasses.

3. OMSpline needed the natCubic and natCubicClosed transients to be
instantiate upon deserialization.

4. OMText needed custom serialization/deserialization of the "font" member
to preserve the font characteristics.

5. After serialization of the OMGraphic (and subclasses) was working with
Java serialization I used Joe Walnes's XStream
(http://xstream.codehaus.org/) to serialize to/from XML. XStream work very
well as it requires no additional coding beyond the standard Java
serialization conventions.

6. In our system we store the user's graphics on an http server which might
be accessed via a restricted bandwidth pipe. So, we compress the XML stream
with GZIPOutputStream to reduce bandwidth consumption.

Cheers,
David

Cheers,
David