Re: [OpenMap Users] Considerations for client / server data

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:43:58 -0400

Hi Hannes,

On May 17, 2005, at 5:01 AM, Hannes van der Wal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I think the link layer is the best
> solution for me to work with. However I have some problems running
> the layer. I'm sorry to trouble you again, but for some reason the
> layer doesn't do anything (I've been debugging the application, but
> the parser never reaches the layer code). The shape file is
> correct, if I choose to display the file in a shape layer it shows
> up. I've looked into the faq for solutions but came up with none. I
> think I have a flaw in my properties file
>
> I've included the properties file for both client and server.
>
> app parms for shapeserver starter: e:/data/esri/POLBND_region.shp
> e:/data/esri/POLBND_region.ssx -port 666
>
> openmap properties (server side)
>
> #####################
> # Link Layer
> #######################
> linklayer.class=com.bbn.openmap.layer.LinkLayer
> linklayer.prettyName=Link Layer
> # port number of server
> linklayer.port=666
> # host name of server
> linklayer.host=http://localhost:666

This should be the machine name or IP address, not a url.

> # URL of properties file for server attributes. Properties
> # contained in this file are passed directly to the server to provide
> # additional information to the server about how to provide the
> # graphics. Some standard properties are listed in the
> # LinkPropertiesConstants file, but any property can be passed to the
> # server. How the server handles the property depends on the server,
> # but non-applicable properties are ignored.
> linklayer.propertiesURL=http://localhost:8080/GIS/linkLayer.properties
>

> properties (client side)
> lineColor=ff000000 fillColor=ff0CBD00 lineWidth=1

These are all on separate lines, i.e.

lineColor=ff000000
fillColor=ff0CBD00
lineWidth=1

I don't think that would really make a difference to get shapes to
show up, with the line you have they would show up with black edges
and no fill color.

- Don