Re: [OpenMap Users] Questions on how to use OpenMap as an applet which uses data from server

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:09:54 -0400

Hi Mariusz,

On May 27, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Mariusz Chmielewski wrote:

> Hi I am now experiencing some problems with teh open map as an
> applet. I written my own applet so it would be downloaded from the
> server and it contains openmap. But i ve got some issues that i
> cannot solve:
> 1. i am using the CADRG MAPS, those are the spatial data which
> requires large amount of memory about 2MB and the question is
> should i put the data into the jar file, or should i put the data
> on the server and download it or should i simply load the resources
> on the client. Ofcourse the 3 option is the worst becouse i do not
> want the spatial data to be accessable on the client maschine
> outside the applet. (additional info to the first option how to
> load a map using properties file from local applet resources??)

You can put the data in a jar file.

> 2. Concerning properties configuration (same as the map) where it
> should be placed inside jar and how to load it??

You would configure the RPFLayer to have a relative path to the RPF
directory in the jar file, from the root of the jar file.

> 3. Is there a chance that i could load only a part of CADRG map and
> the load the rest if neccessery?? so that i could minimize the size
> of used memory during the execution of the applet??

That's the way the layer works now. It only loads what it needs.
You can change the cache sizes so it holds onto less memory if you
need that.