[OpenMap Users] Java 5 migration

From: Webb, Todd <twebb_at_titan.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:06:23 -0700

Now that Java 1.5 (Java 5) is out of beta, what is the plan for OpenMap to support Java 1.5? Preliminary testing seems to indicate that there are some performance gains for our application running under 1.5, so there is some pressure for us to migrate from 1.4 to 1.5.

However, there appears to be some incompatabilities between 1.4 and 1.5 that is affecting us and may be affecting OpenMap as well. We have seen some graphics issues in OpenMap where our ESRI shape file/thin VMAP continents are rendered into a smaller square within the mapbean and the Projector. I was wondering if any testing has been done so far, if any issues had surfaced, and when OpenMap will be ready to declare version 5 compatibility.

Thanks!

Todd A Webb <twebb_at_titan.com>
The Titan Corporation (L3 Communications)
3033 Science Park Road
San Diego, CA 92121
858.597.9128