[OpenMap Users] Line & Point Functionality

From: <RWADAMS1_at_UP.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:00:38 -0500

I'm brand new to this mailing list, so forgive me if this question has been
asked before. I did search the archives, though, and didn't find an answer.

We're trying to evaluate whether OpenMap would be a good fit for our
automated ballast train operation, which depends heavily on GIS functions.
I've scanned the Javadocs and found a lot to like, but didn't see some of
the key capabilities we need. Specially, we need the ability to:

1. Snap a point to a line. That is, given a geo point with lat/lon, & a
line (a series of lat/lon points), we need to determine the point on the
line which is closest to the "offline" point.

2. Determine the shortest distance from a geographic point to a line of
points.

Does anyone know if OpenMap offers this functionality?

Dick Adams
(402) 544-0270