Re: [OpenMap Users] OMGraphicHandler Layer and high CPU usage

From: Rob Ratcliff <rratcliff_at_ticom-geo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:11:15 -0500

We've had to deal with this as well in the past. Here are a few things
you can try::

1.) Set the render policy of especially any layers that draw lots of
lines (like the VPF layer) to BufferedImageRenderPolicy
http://openmap.bbn.com/doc/api/com/bbn/openmap/layer/policy/BufferedImageRenderPolicy.html
(This has a huge impact on the X Server performance.)

2.) try changing these settings:
setenv J2D_PIXMAPS server|shared
java -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false|trure

3.) Create a timer that calls repaint on the layers every n seconds
rather than repainting every time there is a change.

4.) Create an image buffer (an extension of buffered map bean) that
paints all layers that don't change except during projection changes.

5.) Track the dirty region of the map and call repaint specifying the
dirty rectangle.

Hope that helps!

Rob