RE: [OpenMap Users] Identify Operation

From: Lepkowski, Thomas M., CTR, OSD-PA&E <Thomas.Lepkowski.ctr_at_osd.mil>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:08:56 -0400

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Good question. OpenMap does not seem to have a unified way to display meta
data for a point.
You may need to alter or extend an OpenMap layer and bake your own
"Identify" window.

The com.bbn.openmap.layer.location.LocationLayer (takes csv file) will
display a window containing info when you click a point and select "Show
Details" from the menu.

The com.bbn.openmap.plugin.PlugInLayer displayes a tooltip when you mouse
over a point.
The com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.areas.AreaShapeLayer shows the point name in
the lower right corner of the window.

I have extended the AreaShapeLayer to display meta info in a window, with
field_name - field_value displayed in two columns.

It goes something like this:

<code>

// 1) capture mouseClicked event in the extended AreaShapeLayer
// ( method mouseClicked(MouseEvent me) { ... }
// 2) Get OMGraphic clicked-on
// 3) Get AppObject ( An Integer for AreaShapeLayer )
// ( Integer aligns attribute in .dbf file )
// 4) Use DbfInputStream to grab dbf file content ( see OpenMap JavaDocs )e
// ( Use the Integer to address the meta data )
// 5) Put content in someJPanelWithMyContent

// then ...

WindowSupport ws = new WindowSupport( someJPanelWithMyContent, "Attributes"
);

// window pops up.
ws.displayInWindow( x_offset, y_offset, width, height );

</code>

See attached screenshot showing some public points in the extended
AreaShapeLayer.
The window is the WindowSupport window containing someJPanelWithMyContent.

Have fun.

-Tom