[OpenMap Users] Non-GUI use of OpenMap / line of sight visibility capability?

From: Esposito, Christopher <christopher.esposito_at_boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:55:03 -0700

Greetings-
   I have been on and off this list over the last 3 years, depending on
what projects I'm on at work. Since I'm currently working on a project
involving the design optimization and deployment of sensor networks, I'm
back on.

My initial interest this time is in non-GUI uses of OpenMap - I need
code that correctly does geometric / geographic coordinate systems,
projections, distance calculations, etc. and it looks like the contents
of com.bbn.openmap.proj will do much of what I want. Is it possible to
use Openmap in this way, as a calculation engine without any map
display?

On a separate but related topic, does OpenMap already have a line of
sight visibility calculation available? That is, given two points on the
surface at specified lat / long and elevation (and optionally specified
terrain between them) can I determine if either point is visible from
the other?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Esposito, Ph.D.