[OpenMap Users] Poor Mapbean performance on Linux/Xwindows (revisited)

From: David Ward <synriga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:06:07 -0700 (PDT)

This is a topic I've seen here before, but can find the postings.

On Linux/Xwindows my application suffers from poor performance. (Linux is a
customer requirement).

The majority of the processing is being done by the Xserver with X ometimes
reaching 80-90% CPU.

My application has 15 layers. 3 are very active layers that obtain data from a
server. 4 layer are associated with input and drawing. The remaining 8 layers
provide the underlying map and geographic features. These eight layers I
recently placed in a BufferedLayer and witness an additional performance
increase.

The active layers hold and render as many as 60,000-70,000 graphics. The
graphics rendering doesn;t seem to be as much of an impact as bliting the
buffer to the sever screen.

I've researched the issue and discovered a JVM problem with text antialiasing
and alpha blending when running on Xwindows. I disabled the antialiasing as
much transperent rendering as I could. This resulted in a marked increase in
performance.

However, I am still seeing poor performance.

Does anyone have any tips or techniques to address the Xwindows rendering
issue.

Cheers,
David

----