Re: [OpenMap Users] RE: [OpenMap UserMapbean performance on Linux/Xwindows (revisited)

From: George Uecker <george.uecker_at_dot21rts.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:57:33 -0400

David,

One other thing you might check: make sure that you're not regenerating graphics unless it's really necessary. It's usually only necessary when a graphic is first created, and when the projection changes.

Several years ago we had serious performance issues too, and we used Borland's OptimizeIt to identify the bottlenecks. We used our fastest computer and the application still took forever to initialize, but once it got going, we were able to get enough info to figure out where the main problems were.

Regards,

George

Rob Ratcliff wrote:
> Oh, I thought this was a remote X server situation...sorry about that.
>
> In that case, a few things to try are:
>
> 1.) set pmoffscreen=true
>
> 2.) Use com.bbn.openmap.layer.policy.BufferedImageRenderPolicy
> for your layers that do lots of line drawings such as VPF layers
> and don't change for given projection. (You may have already done
> something similar to this with your BufferedLayer.)
>
> 3.) Reduce the number of repaints per second. One way is to put the
> repaint of the layers in a timer thread and only paint when there
> is dirty areas of the screen and no more than say 4 times per second.
>
> 4.) Specify the dirty region rectangle in your calls to repaint. This can
> have a huge impact, especially for cases where only a small part of the
> overall map is changing, if you're willing to track the dirty regions.
>
> Also, since you're using Java 5, it might be interesting to
> try out some of the new OpenGL-based Java2D rendering that it supports.
> See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/new_features.html#ogl
>
> To track down the exact layer that is the biggest performance hog,
> I've found it useful to turn on one layer at a time while monitoring the
> CPU usage.
>
> Finally, if you happen to be drawing a lot of
> multiline segments make sure you use use
> Graphics.drawPolyline() rather than multiple
> calls to Graphics().drawLine()
>
> Let us know what you find out!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>

>>I had already read 2D graphic white paper and experimented with the various
>>environment variables and property settings.
>>
>>Here's the vital of the application and environment.
>>
>> OS: Redhat Enterprise 3
>> Metcity X server (I believe)
>> Java 5.0 update 4 (Java 1.5.0_04)
>>
>>The application runs on a local X server.

George Uecker				george.uecker_at_dot21rts.com
Software Engineer                       (410) 480-7236 voice
Dot21 Real-Time Systems Inc.            (410) 480-7237 fax