[OpenMap Users] user collaboration implementations

From: Rick Lane <lane_richard_b_at_bah.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:28:38 -0400

Greetings,

I've written an application around OpenMap that allows you to create nodes
(which usually represent people) around the globe and edges between these
nodes, so essentially you have a simple graph. I'd like to add the ability
to have multiple users collaborate and add/remove nodes and edges, where a
single server acts as the main data repository, and each user is simply
interacting with this main server. I'd like to do this as simply as
possible (it doesn't have to be very slick, with minimal network traffic).
I was curious if anyone has done anything like this (with or without regards
to OpenMap); I have a few ideas in my head, but since I'm new I was hoping
to avoid some pitfalls by first getting some advice. (e.g. should I be
passing serialized versions of the objects when, say, their lat/lon changes,
or should I simply send a message stating "node 2134's lat/lon has changed
to xx/yy").

Any advice/direction is greatly appreciated.

Rick