Re: [OpenMap Users] Corba support package

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:06:25 -0400

Hi Mariusz,

When you use the SHIS and the SHISPlugIn you won't get caching of the
RPF frames on the client side. The client will go back to the server
for each projection change. Another thing to be aware of is that the
SimpleHttpImageServer was named like that on purpose - it's OK for
light loads, like a couple of clients hitting it at a moderate pace.
If you get several clients connecting to it, it will get
overwhelmed. You can create a servlet to handle greater client
loads, and that servlet can use the MapRequestHandler (like the
SimpleHttpImageServer) to create the images for you. If you need to
be able to handle greater client loading, you can create a pool of
MapRequestHandlers to handle multiple requests.

For the best performance for handing RPF data, I'd stick with the
RpfFrameProvider approach. If you are comfortable with CORBA, I'd
just use the CorbaRpfLayer talking to a CRFPServer. I doubt it would
be worth writing an RMI RpfFrameProvider mechanism just for some
performance difference between CORBA and RMI, but it might be worth
doing if configuring the client-server connection is easier for you
with the RMI approach.

As for an http approach, I suppose you could write a http
RpfFrameProvider, but then you'd have to deal with the other methods
that the RpfFrameProvider handles, and that might have it's own
challenges (using XML for communication protocol between client and
server, perhaps)?

As for configuring the HttpServer to send lower quality images, you
can do that if you are using a SunJpegImageFormatter, it has a
setting for image quality. Check the javadocs for the property.

- Don