[OpenMap Users] DTED viewing problem

From: Esposito, Christopher <christopher.esposito_at_boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:37:01 -0800

I have openmap installed at C:\Apps\openmap-4.6.2\. The DTED 0 and 1
data is in

C:\Apps\openmap-4.6.2\share\data\dted
   This directory has files:
        n33w112.dt0
        n33w112.dt1
   And subdirectories
        w112
        n33

Both of which also have copies of the .dt0 and dt1 files listed above.

The dted data files are for 33N, 112 West region, which is roughly the
Arizona / Mexico border. When I open the .dt1 file in MicroDEM, I see
reasonable looking terrain at the expected location, so the data files
themselves are OK. I'm guessing that there something about their
placement, name or some openmap dted properties that aren't quite right.
The dted layer is loaded at startup, and I pick a CADRG projection from
the Projections submenu.

If I zoom in on lat / long 33, -112 all the way to 1:500 and then back
out again I never see the dted terrain I see in MicroDEM. I have
appended the relevant bits from my openmap.properties file below.

Any suggestions as to what to try next to see the terrain data?

Thanks,
Chris

openmap.layers=date quake daynight test graticule terrain demo dtedcov
jdted jrpf shapePolitical ScaledPolitical ScaledFillPolitical

# These layers are turned on when the map is first started. Order
# does not matter here...
openmap.startUpLayers=graticule drawing shapePolitical jdted

### Java DTED Coverage properties
dtedcov.class=com.bbn.openmap.layer.dted.DTEDCoverageLayer
dtedcov.prettyName=DTED Coverage
# This property should reflect the paths to the DTED level 0 and 1
# directories. These levels can be combined.
dtedcov.paths=C:\\Apps\\openmap-4.6.2\\share\\data\\dted
# DTED Level 2 data!
dtedcov.level2.paths=data/dted2
# Number between 0-255: 0 is transparent, 255 is opaque
dtedcov.opaque=255

# *NOTE* This property needs to be changed to specify a DTED coverage
file,
# or the location where you want one created if the layer doesn't find
# it here. If you add or remove coverage from your dted collection,
# you should delete this file so that an accurate one will be created.
dtedcov.coverageFile=C:\\Apps\\openmap-4.6.2\\share\\data\\dted\\coverag
e.dat

# This is an optional property. You can substitute a URL for the
# coverage file instead. This is checked first before the coverage
# file, and if a valid file is found at the URL, then the coverage
# file is ignored. The layer does not try to create a file at this
# URL!
#dtedcov.coverageURL=http://dstl.bbn.com/openmap/data/dted/coverage.dat

### Java DTED properties
jdted.class=com.bbn.openmap.layer.dted.DTEDLayer
jdted.prettyName=DTED
# This property should reflect the paths to the DTED level 0 and 1
# directories. These levels can be combined.
jdted.paths=C:\\Apps\\openmap-4.6.2\\share\\data\\dted
jdted.level=1
# DTED Level 2 data!
jdted.level2.paths=C:\\Apps\\openmap-4.6.2\\share\\data\\dted\\dted2
# Number between 0-255: 0 is transparent, 255 is opaque
jdted.opaque=255
# Number of colors to use on the maps - 16, 32, 216
jdted.number.colors=216
# Level of DTED data to use on startup (0, 1, 2)
# Type of display for the data on startup
# 0 = no shading at all
# 1 = greyscale slope shading
# 2 = band shading, in meters
# 3 = band shading, in feet
# 4 = subframe testing
# 5 = elevation, colored
jdted.view.type=5
# Contrast setting on startup, 1-5
jdted.contrast=3
# height (meters or feet) between color changes in band shading on
startup
jdted.band.height=25
# Minimum scale to display images. Larger numbers mean smaller scale,
# and are more zoomed out.
jdted.min.scale=20000000

C:\Apps\openmap-4.6.2\share\data\dted

Chris Esposito, Ph.D.