Re: [OpenMap Users] DTEDLayer vs DTEDFrameCacheLayer

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:53:05 -0500

Hi Chase,

The DTEDLayer creates its own DTEDFrameCache and uses other DTED
components in the com.bbn.openmap.layer.dted package (DTEDFrame,
etc.). The DTEDFrameCacheLayer uses a
com.bbn.openmap.dataAccess.dted.DTEDFrameCache it finds in the
MapHandler as a centralized DTED repository, and uses the components
in the com.bbn.openmap.dataAccess.dted package

The components in the com.bbn.openmap.dataAccess.dted package are the
ones that are going to survive, since they have more flexibility to
handle DTED data that is stored with different naming conventions.

In the upcoming OpenMap 4.7 release, the DTEDFrameCacheLayer will be
renamed the DTEDLayer, and have the option of creating it's own
DTEDFrameCache or use the one it finds in the MapHandler. The other
DTED components in the com.bbn.openmap.layer.dted will be replaced by
the new package.

So, to answer you question, if you have other components that need
elevation data, use the
com.bbn.openmap.dataAccess.dted.DTEDFrameCache to get them that data,
and use the DTEDFrameCacheLayer to use that DTEDFrameCache instead of
creating a duplicate supply of data. If you just want one DTEDLayer
in your application, then using the old layer is fine.

- Don