[OpenMap Users] Anyone have ANY experience using RoadLayer and in reading Road Shapefiles with OpenMap?

From: Ed MacKerrow <mackerrow_at_lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:37:29 -0700

Dear OpenMap Users,

I have the following challenge:

    1) read some Shapefiles of Road Networks. Extract road segments and
intersections into (nodes and edges) to make a graph. Ideally I would like
instantiate my own Edge/Node Java object for each road segment in the
Shapefile, and have the geometry (lat,lon points) extracted for these roads.

I have had some troubles using OpenMap to read these Shapefiles.

1. In one case I can create a ShapeLayer using the appropiate Shapefiles(
.dbf,.shp,.shx). In this case I can see the road network displayed on my
map. BUT when I try to find the list of EsriGraphics (or any graphics for
that matter) using EsriPlugIn I do not see any graphics at all. I do
however see the dbf table and it looks fine.
2. In another case (different shapefile) I can not display it using
ShapeLayer nor can I get the graphics using EsriPlugIn.

I have listed the column headers and data snippet for each of these
shapefiles below.

Questions:
    1) Is there a way for OpenMap to read and parse a Shapefile of roads to
meet the above needs?
    2) It looks to me like the RoadXXX.java classes in OpenMap do not have
any relation to Shapefile road GIS records. Is this true?
    3) Has anyone successfully done what I am asking above using OpenMap?
(the (lat,lon) data is stored somewhere in these files since you can see
them on the map, however, I am having trouble find these data using
EsriPlugIn. Should I be doing this another way?)

Case 1) Sample data inside dbf table for one road shape file (this one
displays using a ShapeLayer, but can not get graphics list using
EsriPlugIn.)

 ID_ NAME1_ NAME2_ PARTS_
POINTS_ LENGTH_ CLASS
 GMA-ALI~411 KNDR-RD-1 2179 1
52 18.944770 1

Case 2) Sample data inside dbf table for another road shapefile. (this one
does not display using ShapeLayer nor can I get graphics from EsriPlugIn).
 OBJECTID_1 OBJECTID GFID
LTN NAM RST RST_D RTN RTT
RTT_D WTC WTC_D SHAPE_Leng
Shape_Le_1
 5 5
0364D8F0B7659BE418607BAD27E0D341 2 UNK 2
Loose/Unpaved 0 Unknown 1
All Weather 0.00824101493 0.00824101494

Thanks in advance for your help

Ed