Re: [OpenMap Users] Anyone have ANY experience using RoadLayer and in reading Road Shapefiles with OpenMap?

From: Bart Jourquin <bart.jourquin_at_fucam.ac.be>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:27:14 +0100

Hi Ed,

I once did something similar. The gal was to take existing shapefiles
and to transform them into a set of EsriPlugin's that represent a
multi-modal network (graph): each plugin represents a transportation
mode. The attached pieces of source could help you. What I did is
probably somewhat complex regarding your needs, but here are the main
features:

1) Some mandatory fields are created in the .dbf files. Mainly, each
node as a number. The same is true for the links, which also contains
the numbers of the two end nodes. This is used in our main software to
create a graph on which several algorithms can be used.
2) if a node is found at the same location in several shape files, only
one is created in the output files. These nodes can later be considered
as possible transfert nodes between two or several transportation modes.
This is probably not needed in your case.
3) I have to confess that these pieces of code are not enough tested nor
documented. Moreover, they are part of a 'plugin' that can be attached
to our main software. Maybe some calls to it could be unclear to you...

A last point: I'll be mainly abroad from this evening (gmt+2) until 13
january. So, if you have additional questions, it could very well be
possible taht I'll not be able to answer quickly. Sorry for that.

Best regards,

Bart

--
Prof Dr Bart Jourquin