Re: [OpenMap Users] RE: AreaHandler.getProperties()

From: Piotr Kamiński <Piotr.Kaminski_at_ctm.gdynia.pl>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:28:21 +0100

Hi Don,

Don Dietrick napisał(a):
> OK, here goes, a hard date. We've got a code freeze set for January
> 11th, and we expect to cut the 4.6.3 release on the 13th. I've been
> going through back emails, looking for stuff I set aside to incorporate
> into the next release but that I may have overlooked. We're mirroring
> the 4.6.3 branch codebase in the CVS repository available on the
> download page on the website, so if anyone notices that something they
> expected to be the next release is not there, let us know either at
> openmap_at_bbn.com or openmap-users_at_bbn.com as soon as possible. Anything
> that doesn't make it in by the freeze will get pushed to the upcoming
> 4.7 release.

Recently I wrote about changes and improvement I had made. Unfortunately
I didn't find time to merge my changes with CVS version of OpenMap's
sources. And this is why I didn't send you any sources. Sorry.

> So, there's also a working 4.7 branch that we haven't made available
> yet, the significance of the 4.7 release being that there will be API
> changes that may not be compatible with 4.6.2-3 and before. The main
> features of the 4.7 release is that LatLonPoint extends Point2D, and
> the Projections have been updated to think in terms of Point2D
> objects. This paves the way for displaying pre-projected data. Also,
> the projection library will be updated to handle double and float
> precision calculations. We'll be making the beta for this available
> after the 4.6.3 release.

Float/double functionality is long waiting one. I think that first I
merge my code with 4.6.3 release then I could send you changes. Next I
would try to adopt my code to 4.7 release. If it is successful I will
definitely switch to 4.7 code base.

> One of the goals Bill and I had for 2005 was to get into a cycle where
> we make about 3 releases a year, depending on how much time we have to
> devote to other projects. We're still hoping to get to that point.

I wander is it possible to have write access to BBN's CVS repository? It
  is quite complicated to me working now:
    - first I have to checkout sources from BBN
    - then I have to manually merge changes with version checked
company's repository
    - this process is complicated end error prone especially if files
was reformatted by some kind of beautifier
    - then I commit changes to company's repository
    - other developers also change OpenMap's code - this is why we don't
just use compiled OpenMap.jar
    - our own changes in comparison to original sources are detected
during merge.
    - then I have to collect all changed files, prepare comments and
send it to openmap-users group
    - I could imagine similar process that you have to follow to
incorporate my changes into your version of source tree

Having write access to repository would help me submit changes in easier
way. I hope it also helps you.

I'm waiting for 4.7 beta release. Please take into consideration my
proposition.

Best regards,
Piotr Kaminski