Re: [OpenMap Users] Log4J in OpenMap

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:39:36 -0500

Hi Geir,

First, I agree that Debug needs to be replaced, and 4.7 would be an
ideal time to do it. The main reason Debug is still around is
because I haven't figured out whether to use log4j or java's logging
mechanism, and/or using Piotr's suggestion of making Debug a wrapper
for either.

Is there a reason to use log4j over the logging mechanism built into
Java? I've used both but not enough to choose one over the other
based on some capability one has over the other. I can see a benefit
to not having to deal with yet another jar file, however, which makes
the java logger more attractive to me.

Is one faster than the other, or does one take up fewer resources?
I've read several articles written that compares the two, but I still
can find or remember an obvious answer.

- Don