Re: [OpenMap Users] Servlet environment - Beginner Question

From: Piotr Kaminski <Piotr.Kaminski_at_ctm.gdynia.pl>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:59:24 -0000 (UTC)

Hi,
OpenGis Consortium WebMapServer protocol has GetFeatureInfo
method. Unfortunately OpenMap's MapRequestHandler doesn't support OGC WMS
protocol. I implemented this protocol partialy and I'm going to send it to
Don for integration. As for now my version deosn't implement
GetFeatureInfo, it is planned for implementation in near future.
So,
if you can wait some time (as I implement GetFeatureInfo and send it to
Don) you might use OGC WMS protocol. If you don't really care of OGC
compliance you can extend MapRequestHandler the way Don proposed.
Regards,
Piotr Kaminski

> Hi Vitaly,
>
> I'd think you want to do something similar to the pan requests
that
> the MapRequestHandler deals with, extending the protocol to
handle
> some kind of selection event. It looks like there is
an
> unimplemented QUERY request type in ImageServerConstants that
the
> MapRequestHandler.handleRequest(...) method doesn't deal
with. You
> might be able to take advantage of that. You can get
your image map
> in the browser to handle clicks on the map in
different ways by
> sending requests back to the server. I think
in the old .NET demo
> they were sent as RECENTER requests, but
you would send them as say,
> a QUERY request - then, in your
special MapRequestHandler that deals
> with QUERY requests and
interacting with a particular layer (the
> MapRequestHandler would
keep a special handle on layers dealing with
> queries), the
appropriate response would be sent.

> Hope this
helps,

> Don
>

> On Jan 15,
2006, at 7:56 AM, Vitaly Khait wrote:

Greetings!

>> Sorry for rather not competent
question but I am really beginner to
>> OpenMap and to web
programming.

>> What I am trying to do is to
create an application running in a
>> servlet environment that
uses OpenMap to present locations stored in
>> database and
provides some additional functionality.

extend LocationLayer (as well as DBLocationHandler and some

OMGraphics) and MapRequestHandler serves just fine for creating images
>> according to the request.
>>
>> However,
the additional requirement is to enable a user to select a

Location object by clicking on the image in a browser. I've seen the
>> examples implementing similar behaviour for application and
applet
>> (using mouse events) but still cannot think of any
proper design in a
>> servlet environment. Can you please give
some hints for a correct
>> architecture?
>>
>> Thanks ahead,
>> Khait Vitaly