Re: [OpenMap Users] Labelling

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:35:39 -0500

Hi Dave,

On Mar 2, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Dave Brown wrote:

> Hi thanks for the info Don,
>
> Can you tell me where that code should go ? I'm confused by the
> concept of
> OMGraphics, I thought there was an OMGraphic object per line or
> point etc..

There can be an OMGraphicList for an entry, representing a multi-part
geometry.

> But my code doesn’t even detect a single OMGraphic..
> Right after loading the shapefile I am using this
>
> if (shapeLayer.getList()!= null && !shapeLayer.getList().isEmpty()) {
> System.out.println("getting list elements
> "+shapeLayer.getList().size());
> OMGraphic elem = (OMGraphic)
> shapeLayer.getList().getOMGraphicAt(0);
> elem.putAttribute(OMGraphicConstants.LABEL, new
> OMTextLabeler
> ("street name "));
> System.out.println(elem.toString());
> }
>
> However the shapeLayer.getList() returns null everytime so it’s a bit
> baffling to me.

Does the ShapeLayer have a projection to work with? The ShapeLayer's
SpatialIndex uses a projection to determine what shapes to retrieve
from the shape file. How are you loading the Shape file? Just
telling the ShapeLayer the name doesn't do it. Look at the prepare()
method, which is where you probably want to do this stuff.

> Also can you tell me if its possible to override the line painting
> code,
> what I want to do is first check the type of road that is being
> painted,
> according to a field in my dbf. And then give it a specific
> thickness/color
> etc...

You don't want to do this work in the paint thread. Do the work in
the prepare() method, and then set the Stroke and fill/line paint on
the OMGraphic based on the attribute values. The painting will take
care of itself after that.

- Don