[OpenMap Users] Problem creating a custom GUI component

From: Esposito, Christopher <christopher.esposito_at_boeing.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:02:35 -0800

Greetings,
   I have written a custom GUI component to go in the horizontal list of
tools seen in the base application - I started with the code for a
ZoomPanel, and then modified from there, adding and deleting as needed.
I then added it's name "probthresholdpanel" to the list of
openmap.components in openmap.properties and added this line:
    probthresholdpanel.class=com.bbn.openmap.gui.ProbThresholdPanel
to openmap.properties as well. I know it doesn't *really* belong in
com.bbn.openmap.gui, but it was less fiddling with the ant script to put
it there for now. The code for the component compiles just fine.

I set the ComponentFactory debug flag and on startup I get this output:

ComponentFactory.create: Failed to create
"com.bbn.openmap.gui.ProbThresholdPanel" using component marker name
"probthresholdpanel" - error message: InvocationTargetException: null

The Javadocs for this exception describe it this way:
"InvocationTargetException is a checked exception that wraps an
exception thrown by an invoked method or constructor", but no
information about the wrapped exception is actually printed so I don't
know what actually went wrong.

The class defintion for the component starts as:
public class ProbThresholdPanel extends OMToolComponent implements
ActionListener,
        Serializable, ChangeListener

And it has a no-arg constructor.

Any ideas on how to figure out why the component isn't getting
instantiated?

Chris Esposito, Ph.D.
Associate Technical Fellow
Boeing