Re: [OpenMap Users] How to kick off

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:15:38 -0400

Hi Lei Ni,

On Jun 6, 2006, at 8:04 AM, Lei Ni wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> I have got a copy of the OpenMap software and its manually and
> found it is quite compilicated.
>
> What I would like to do is just to use OpenMap in my project to
> show the position of one or more given countries. For example, when
> given UK, I want the border of UK will be highlighted or the color
> of UK on the map be changed.

> I will be very appreciate if someone can tell me how can I start in
> a more efficient manner. What should be the good entry point for
> reading the manual. That would be also be great if there is some
> examples showing how to use OpenMap in projects. Many Thanks!

What manual are you reading? This one would be good:

http://openmap.bbn.com/doc/OpenMapDevGuide.pdf

If you want to embed OpenMap into an existing application, you would
use the BasicMapPanel, which is a JPanel. It uses an
openmap.properties file in the classpath to configure itself, or you
can give it a properties file to use. You can then design a Layer
that works with your application, and add that to the BasicMapPanel,
where it will get added to the map automatically. For your layer,
you can extend an existing Layer, or write your own (I'd recommend
extending OMGraphicHandlerLayer).