Re: [OpenMap Users] Displaying contour data exported by HPAC

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:39:54 -0400

Hi Matt,

On Jun 7, 2006, at 2:00 AM, Matt Brennan wrote:

> Hi there, I'd like to add a layer to my OpenMap application to
> display contour data exported by DTRA's OpenMap-based HPAC tool. I
> do not have source code access to the HPAC OpenMap code (though I
> understand that the designers have made every effort to allow their
> work to be easily usable in other applications).
>
> The information to display looks like some (occasionally complex
> and non contigous) coloured, alpha'ed contours on a layer (simple
> sample attached).
>
> After batting my head against this for a bit, I thought I'd post
> here to see what you think... perhaps someone has tried this before.
>
> The exported data formats available are roughly:
>
> --
>
> 1. ESRI Shapefile (.shp)
>
> - shapefile plus spatial index.
> - associated ".cxl" file contain all necessary info to create
> contour info - colours etc.
> - includes info on the projection as a separate file
> - database file (per the shapefile standard) has some info - though
> not specific to colours and rendering of contours
>
> 2. FBV Overlay xml (.xml)
>
> - All required info for coloured display gainst a DTD called
> "magic.dtd".
>
> 3. GALE tab 37 file
>
> 4. EIS Plume file (.lpm)
>
> 5. CTS Overlay (.asc)
>
> 6. ARCVIEW overlay (.arc)
>
> 7. HPAC overlay (.ovl), Model Output Data (.mod), Model Output (.mof)
>
> - each of these last 3 file formats include everything you need to
> draw pretty coloured contours
>
> --
>
> Of these, its easy enough to import a shapefile into my app -
> though the OpenMap standard shapefile doesn't pick up the colour
> info for the contours (which is what I am after).
>
> The OpenMap FAQ similarly says "no" to ARC files - and the other
> formats do not seem to have openmap support. FBV, EIS and CTS seem

That entry might be outdated, since the .e00 ArcInfo file format is
handled by the E00Layer. Can you get .e00 files?

> So I think I need to either:
>
> - extend the current OpenMap shapefile to read the contour info in
> the ".cxl" file and modify how this renders to fill the shapes,

I would go with this one after trying...

> - write a custom layer to parse one of the HPAC format files
> (option 7 above) and display, or

this one. If you can get documentation on the format and it's pretty
simple (or worth your time to write a layer for it), I usually opt to
handle a data set in it's native format. But wait...

> - add the appropriate HPAC client jars to my classpath and include
> an appropriate contour drawing layer and properties in my
> openmap.props (any ideas on what this layer would be could be very
> useful!!)

I think I'd try this first, if they are giving out a jar file that
has a layer inside it that can handle the data set as is.

It kind of looks like you are bound to the HPAC program to get you as
far as you can, since the .cxl file is their format, too. I'd start
at 3, then go to 1, then try 2. Path of least resistance.