Re: [OpenMap Users] Help on designing OM Server Client using RMI

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:51:54 -0400

Hi Ed,

I don't think you'd want the MapHandler to have references to objects
on the server side, I'd keep it focused on the client side
components. I'd only allow the Layers to have RMI connections to the
server, either to get OMGraphics from the server or information it
needs to create OMGraphics on the client side. You can have the
layer either push updated information back to the server, or let the
shared OMGraphic objects do it.

How are you launching and configuring the client? I'm confused by
your question about the 'thick client' approach - it seems like a
standard OpenMap application that has layers that talk to servers for
their information. Just like an applet, but with OpenMap running as
an application instead (outside of the applet sandbox).

- Don