[OpenMap Users] Performance on very large model

From: ruya <rmlopes_at_student.dei.uc.pt>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:32:57 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

My name is Rui Lopes and I am new to openmap. I am a student of Informatics
Engineering in Coimbra, Portugal.
I have a model built in RepastJ, that needs 512 MB o memory to run. I've
been using the repast gui tools to display the world. Now I wan't to
integrate it with a GIS software, in order to, hopefully, have better
performance on the visualization and extra GIS functionalities.
I started by trying OpenMap. RepastJ offers inbuilt functions to use
openmap, but they are quite limited. One has to load agents from a shape
file for example and use a library to create the GIS agents. So, I
integrated it directly with openmap by creating my own
OMGraphicHandlerLayer, following the samples in the openmap package. This
worked, but now I need to the double the memory in order to run the model
and I am not able to deal with the gui, because my computer is almost
freezed (I have only 1024MB ram).
The thing is that the world is a grid of 2400x1200, what gives at start
2880000 objects (I used OMRect), that change, at least some do, every tick.
Is this a plausible number of objects to use in openmap or should I forget
it?
Has someone used some GIS software with such a large number of objects in a
dynamic model? which application did you used? what are the requirements for
a machine to properly deal with a model of this size?

Thanks in advance,
Rui