[OpenMap Users] Measuring Distance on Map

From: F.Bayliss <bayliss_at_alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:55:06 -0400

All,

I'm confused. I'm using the Mercator projection and displaying the US in
my application. I wanted to know the distance (miles and kilometers)
between two points. I've tried using Geo.distanceNM & KM and I even
copied some code from DistanceMouseMode using
GreatCircle.spherical_distance. What I've found is the distance between
two identical length longitudinal lines at different latitudes have
different length. Why? Isn't the map displayed flat so the width, lets
say - Wyoming being close to square, is the same width at the top and
bottom borders? Help.

Thanks
Frank