[OpenMap Users] How to use the BufferedMapBean

From: Tim Schreiner <tjs_at_ll.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:54:24 -0400

Hello,

I've got a .shp file layer in my OpenMap application and have replaced the
default PanMouseMode class with one that basically allows the map to be
dragged around in real time. (my mousedragged implementation calculates a
new map center based on the new mouse position and calls
map.setCenter(newCenter)).

When I use the standard MapBean and do the dragging, the .shp layer is
simple enough that it can be drawn quickly and everything looks good.
Except! There is this annoying flashing.

Traditional graphics systems, ala OpenGL, support the notion of double
buffering to address this very problem.

I noticed a BufferedMapBean and the documentation seem to advertise this
does the buffering I want.

I tried it, and unfortunately, it behaves rather badly, leaving behind
copies of the last position of the shape file all over the screen.

Has anyone successfully use the BufferedMapBean in a mouseDrag operation as
I have described? Isn't this the situation you would normally use this
class?

Does this BufferedMapBean actually support 2 Images, rendering the "current"
image in the back buffer and then flipping the back for the front as I would
expect such a buffering scheme to do?

Tim