[OpenMap Users] Displaying text in a point based shape file

From: Schreiner, Timothy <tjs_at_ll.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:57:16 -0500

I have a shape file that contains lat,lon coordinates for key cities in the world. The associated dbf table contains a text string which is the city name. What is the best way to display the text next to the point on my openmap application?

I see that I could extract the coordinates and the text field and output them into a separate .csv file and then create my own Layer class that reads the .csv and creates a collection of OMText's, but this seem a little strange that this would be the best way.

Is there not a way to use some flavor of ShapeLayer or ESRILayer to display text?

Thanks in advance.