RE: [OpenMap Users] Location /Labler (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Jay D. Askren <jda_at_quantumleap.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:10:31 -0500

Here's sun's tutorial on the root pane:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/rootpane.html

When you add panels to a JFrame, you generally use the content pane of
the JFrame. In addition to the content pane, there is the layered pane
and the glass pane. The glass pane is above the content pane. So, open
map would be in the content pane and a tiny little animation of a spot
blinking would be in the glass pane on top of open map. It can be very
quick and efficient because open map does not need to refresh the map
for the animation. Especially if you set the clip appropriately, the
only thing that needs to be redrawn is the little area around your
animation. A very good explanation of how to do this and much more
impressive animation and effects can be found in a new book that just
came out:

http://www.filthyrichclients.org/

Jay