[OpenMap Users] OM distributed version control?

From: Tore Halset <halset_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:09:31 +0100

Hello.

I have some local OpenMap changes that I hope to get included in the
main repository. I have done the changes in a local checkout from
OpenMap and created patches from that. It is getting more and more
scary to do changes and the patches gets bigger and bigger. It is also
a bit difficult for me to work on different machines as their OpenMap
checkouts does not contain each other changes.

Perhaps a distributed SCM[1] like Mercurial[2] or Git[3] could make
this smoother? I have not used distributed SCM my self, but it looks
fine to handle things like this.

The way forward could be like this:
1. BBN switch over to distributed SCM or someone (could be BBN or
anyone) set up a mirror from CVS to a distributed SCM.
2. People can start using the same distributed SCM for their OpenMap
changes.
3. People can start enjoying bug fixes and new features from each other.

So what do you think? Is it doable?

Regards,
  - Tore.
[1] http://betterexplained.com/articles/intro-to-distributed-version-control-illustrated/