Re: [OpenMap Users] Displaying Images in Open Map

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:25:06 -0500

Hi Jay,

If you have an image of the Earth that is in the Transverse Mercator
projection, like NASA's Blue Marble image, you can use the
com.bbn.openmap.plugin.earthImage.EarthImagePlugIn to display it,
adding the plugin like a layer to the openmap.properties file:

earthImage.class=com.bbn.openmap.plugin.earthImage.EarthImagePlugIn
earthImage.prettyName=Earth at Night
earthImage.plugin.image=<path to image file>

where earthImage is added to the openmap.layers property. FYI,
'earthImage' can be anything you like, but it has to match the prefix
of the properties you set for that layer instance. The path to the
image file can be in the form of a URL, an absolute path, or a
relative path from another directory that is in the classpath.

If you have other images that don't span the entire earth in the
Mercator projection, you can use the CSVTiledImagePlugIn. That plugin
uses a csv file that lets you specify the bounds for different images.