[OpenMap Users] determining if a lat/lon point is over land or over water

From: Joe Desbonnet <joe_at_galway.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:56:14 +0000

There is a 30 arc second resolution database of world topography much
of it compiled from an experiment on the space shuttle (mission STS-99
in year 2000) called "Shuttle Radar Topography Mission" (SRTM).

The dataset is free, but big(ish) at about 1.6GB. As far as I can
remember, sea areas are assigned a special elevation which
differentiates it from land. A quick google of "SRTM" yields pages
like this one: http://eros.usgs.gov/srtm/data/obtainingdata.html.

To get an idea of the kind of resolution available have a look at this
beautiful image:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=16853

Joe.