Re: [OpenMap Users] Mil-Std-2525 Geometries

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:03:19 -0500

Hi Dave,

On Jan 29, 2008, at 6:46 PM, kossboss wrote:

> Hi, just wondering (more like wishing) if OpenMap can display
> multiple point
> geometries in MIL-STD-2525B. I know there is a big jar of point
> graphics.
> Mostly ground units with air tracks and some basic point geometries
> but can
> it display a four point Axis Of Advance, FLOTS, and other multi point
> MIL-STD-2525 symbols.

Do you have some examples of symbols you are looking to be able to use
(like some 15 character codes)? I think I understand what you are
asking about, but I want to make sure.

> I am guessing it can not, which is the only downfall of OpenMap for
> it can
> not be used by military applications. Now I am stuck using C2PC and
> CJTMK
> which are complete monsters and half as good as OpenMap. But I have
> to use
> these cumbersome engines because they support Mil-Std-2525b.

OpenMap can really only display the graphics provided by DISA in a
data set they released a while ago. The real problem with rendering
the other symbols that are not currently defined is being able to
provide a UI to allow the user to place some of the symbols that need
to be placed and defined on the map.

> If anyone knows if OpenMap can do this or knows of an open source
> plug-in or
> API.
> Please let me know.

I don't know of anything right now.

> Oh PS: Does OpenMap support echelons for the unit graphics? I do not
> remember seeing them there.

These are the additional markings on the symbols? If the DISA set
didn't contain them, we haven't added them. Do you have any requests
for things you use a lot? Maybe there is some low-hanging fruit we
can improve on without making things crazy hard.

Best Regards,