RE: [OpenMap Users] Layer dosen't "update" after call to MapBean.setCenter(lat, lon) (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: Lackey, Michael B. (SED/BTI) <"Lackey,>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:23:09 -0600

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It's ironic that you should mention this, because I am seeing a similar
problem. My problem appeared a couple days ago during testing.

I have an application that displays DTED and RPF data, and I am seeing a
similar behavior (layers not painting) when I open a "project". Opening
a "project" involves enabling/disabling the layers and then setting map
center and scale. It happens more frequently when the Jframe (map bean
container) opens "maximized" and the map scale is very large,
1:1,000,000, zoomed way out. If the maps open with a smaller scale, say
1:500,000 or 1:250,000, the problem occurs much less frequently. It is
usually the RPF layer that does not paint, but ocassionally it is our
custom layer that does not. It appears to be a one-time thing: forcing
a repaint (panning the map, dragging an object) usually causes all
layers to repaint correctly, and after that the problem seems to
disappear.

It is very repeatable. First, I set map scale to a small value (zoomed
in) such as 1:75,000. Then open a "project" with the Jframe "maximized"
and map scale set to 1:1,000,000. If I comment out the function call
that sets center/scale, and the problem usually disappears. If I
uncomment the line, the problem usually reappears.

My SWAG is some timing issue, based on the observation that painting to
a 1920x1200 display at 1:1,000,000 scale consumes much more CPU time
than painting the same data at 1:500,000 scale. I've not yet been able
to dig into this, it has not yet bubbled to the top of the list, but
will keep you posted if/when I uncover the issue. Please do the same.

Mike Lackey